Fufu Fought For His Life Now He Needs Your Help

Updated: Jun 21, 2021

Fufu became paraplegic after kids on a speeding motorbike crashed into him breaking his back 18 months ago. His world fell apart forever. It’s not uncommon for paraplegic dogs to experience neuropathic pain and this may be the reason Fufu chewed off his bandages. The result was quite shocking.

Here’s what happened to Fufu He has small bandages to cover a few drag wounds on his back legs. If one was missing we assumed it had come off when he was outside. But we were wrong. Fufu had eaten it. We had no idea how long he’d been doing this. We were shocked when Fufu vomited up a bandage and excreted some gauze pads. The next day he did it again. We immediately drove him 100ks to our special cases vet who admitted Fufu to carry out a Barium Meal x-ray test. They needed to see if he had a blockage. It would take two days for the Barium Meal to travel through his entire intestines.

This is what the vet saw

Fufu's x-rays were a horrific sight. A massive blockage was lodged in his small intestines from all the bandages and gauze pads he had been eating. His intestines had become badly infected and a large section including the blockage had telescoped inside itself. The condition is called Intussusception and it’s very rare. Fufu’s life was in the balance.

A couple of meters of bandages were pulled out of his intestines and the vet pulled at least a meter of small intestines that had telescoped inside themselves. It was a brilliant operation that saved his life. If we’d delayed one more day getting Fufu to the vet he would have died. But Fufu is a fighter and he wasn’t going to give up.